Friday, April 15, 2011

Two Soldiers

Today, I read about the suicide of Clay Hunt, a 28-year-old former Marine corporal who earned a Purple Heart after taking a sniper's bullet in his left wrist and later returned to combat in Afghanistan.  Friends and family say he was wracked with survivor's guilt, depression and other emotional struggles after combat.  Hunt's death has shaken many veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistanhttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42609114/ns/us_news-life/

My son is a soldier.  After completing high school, my son went to college for a couple of years and then enlisted into the Army.  He completed his basic and advanced training and was promptly sent to Korea.  He never returned home.  In the course of one week in May, 2000, he married, graduated with his bachelor's degree in Economics with the help of the military's "Green to Gold" Scholarship Program*, and was commissioned as an officer which was the happiest week of this mother's life!

I'm also the mother-in-law, aunt, and cousin of active soldiers.  My nephew (after two tours in Iraq) and cousin are stationed in Afghanistan.  By God's grace, my son was reassigned and subsequently did not go with his previous unit to Afghanistan.  I know many in our country takes their service for granted.  Some dont' realize that our war with Afghanistan is the longest war in our nation's history, surpassing the conflict in Vietnam!  http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/afghan-war-now-longest-war-us-history/story?id=10849303 

Besides Korea, my son has been stationed in Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri, South Carolina, Pennsylvania and Tennessee with overseas duty also in Germany and Kuwait.  He's been separated for months at a time from his wife and children. While officially stationed in Pennsylvania, where he and his wife bought their first home, the Army sent him to NJ  -- five hours away from his family -- to 'work' the entire time (2 years).  In his leadership role, my son has had to help many soldiers and their families with issues including a direct command's suicide, a near-death drowning, substance abuse, marital discord, etc. 

I'm a soldier, too!  The battle that I fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. I'm wearing the whole spiritual armor of God, that I may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.  My armor includes girding my loins with truth, the breastplate of righteousness, my feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace, the shield of faith enabling me to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God  (Ephesians 6 KJV).  I don't need the President or Congress to approve a budget so that I can afford or purchase my spiritual armor.  Jesus paid for my armor with His blood. 
 
I try to do my part to let our soldiers know I remember them - I send care packages, e-mails, and cards.  I attend the local Military Support Group meetings.  But most importantly, as a Prayer Warrior, I utilize the power of prayer to pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests on behalf of the U.S. military and all God's people.  Please don't forget about our servicemen and women who are voluntarily serving on our behalf.  Some like my nephew (who has a wife and 3 children) have had multiple tours of combat duty.  Clay Hunt could be my son, nephew, son-in-law, cousin, or your relative, neighbor, or friend.  Don't forget about our soldiers.  Put on your armor, take up your sword, AND pray for them!

*The Army Green to Gold program is designed to offer Enlisted Soldiers in the Army the opportunity to earn commissions as Army Officers; commissioned Officers are the managers, problem solvers, key influencers and planners who lead Enlisted Soldiers in all situations.  Source: http://www.goarmy.com/about/service-options/enlisted-soldiers-and-officers.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment