Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Gift of a Risen Savior

As I woke this morning, I began thinking about the final preparations I have planned for when the deaconesses from my church come to my home today.  I also thought about how I love hosting guests.  I believe I have a gift of Hospitality. Romans 12:14 (NIV) says we are to:  Practice hospitality.  Dictionary.com defines hospitality this way:  1. the friendly reception and treatment of guests or strangers.   2. the quality or disposition of receiving and treating guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way.
  
I also believe God has given me the Gifts of Teaching, Encouragement, and Helps.  Romans 12:6-8 says: We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith.  If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach;  if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously.

I sometimes rebel against these gifts God has given me.  When I send out invitations and not everyone responds, or people don't show up, I think to myself, that's it, I'm not going to host another event!  When it comes to teaching, I don't always want to invest the time.  About 3 years ago at my former church, I taught a year-long bible course that I created called Purpose-Driven Generation Leadership.  I know the participants were blessed by this course because they told me so.  So why haven't I offered to teach this course at my current church -- because I'm not ready to invest the time required. 

When I rebel against my gifts, I'm really rebelling against God.  When I read the 1st verse of Romans 12, it says that I am to offer my body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—which is my spiritual act of worship [personalized by me].  The Holy Spirit lets me know that when I rebel against my gifts, I'm not worshipping God, which reflects a lack of willingness to sacrifice and I must confess it's selfishly thinking that this life I live is all about me.  It's not!  Christ gave the ultimate sacrifice for me...and for you.  He shed His blood on Calvary. 

Matthew 27:26-31, 34-35, 39, 48 Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified. Then the governor’s soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him.  They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand and knelt in front of him and mocked him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said. They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him... There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it. When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots...Those who passed by hurled insults at him... Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink.  
 
But praise God, this isn't the end of the story.  Matthew 28:5-6 The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said.
 
This Resurrection Sunday, I pray that I never again rebel against the gifts that God has given to me.  I am abundantly blessed above all that I could ask or think.  I have a risen Savior who loves me so much that He prayed and died for me before I came into existence!  I thank You, Father God, Jesus the Christ, and the Holy Spirit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment