Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Family Time

I laughed so much that my jaws were hurting!  What a good time we (my brother, youngest sister, and I) had celebrating my father's 77th birthday tonight at Red Lobster (dad's restaurant choice).  Part of our laughter stemmed from a remark from a friend of my brother who was at the restaurant.  When my brother introduced my dad to her, she commented about how much my brother resembles my dad.  When my dad told me and my sister his version of her comment, the emphasis was that my brother looked as old as my dad!  I think as my one and only brother has gotten older, he has morphed into my dad.  At least they agree that they do look alike.  I look like my brother, but I haven't 'morphed' into my dad!  What do you think? 

We also reminisced about how much Dad's parenting style was like Bill Cosby ... our childhood friends said 'your dad is just like Bill Cosby!'  If you've ever watched the Cosby Show, then you can imagine what our childhood with one boy and three girls was like.  Our dad has so many Cosby mannerisms including Bill's raised eyebrow that I feel I know Mr. Cosby personally!   

Over the years we've joked about how easily Dad cries (the saying 'real men don't cry' never applied to him).  Dad used to cry when watching Marcus Welby, MD, for goodness sake!  So you know he choked up when he read the very sentimental birthday card my brother gave him. Some things never change.

My dad has fought some serious health battles and overcome so much over the past few years.  I grew up as a daddy's girl.  I know I'm truly blessed and extremely fortunate to have had this wonderful family time with him tonight.  

My parents raised us to believe in God.  I'm grateful that my earthly father instilled in me the knowledge that I need a Heavenly Father.  I praise God for who He is, and I thank Him for blessing me with my dad AND my mom.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment