Friday, May 13, 2011

Don't Take Today For Granted

I've been at the hospital every day this week since Monday.  A friend who was at church on Easter Sunday is in critical condition and fighting for his life.  In two weeks, he's gone from being a fun-loving character who models Christianity in all his actions to lying sedated in a hospital bed.  When he was admitted to the hospital, he was placed in a regular room.  Two days later, he was sent to intensive care.  Now he's on a ventilator and receiving dialysis.  As prayers are being sent up all over the country on his behalf, I'm reminded that tomorrow is not promised to us.  His Word says in Psalm 39:4-5:  Show me, O LORD, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man’s life is but a breath. We're told in Job14:1 Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble.

In February, my sister's sister-in-law passed away after being diagnosed with a serious illness this past December.  My sister has another sister-in-law who died in 2006 one week after having an aneurysm.  One of my first cousins was murdered in 1998.  No one in our family would have predicted on April 23, 1998 that she would be dead on April 24, 1998.  A couple weeks later on May 9, the day my husband walked across the stage with his bachelor's degree, my father-in-law died suddenly.  Although he was 80 when he passed, we were caught off guard, as he had planned to attend the graduation service but felt ill that morning.  I'm sure you could add your own experiences that serve as reminders we cannot take one day for granted. 

I'm trusting God to pull my friend through.  I know God can do it because He performs miracles every day, not just in my life, but also in yours.  Didn't He wake you up this morning, start you on your way, keep you from dangers seen AND unseen!  I don't take today for granted.  I know my life is just a breath away from me passing on to glory.  I hope you're not taking today for granted.  Why don't you pause and thank Him for today - then rejoice and be glad in it (Psalm 118:24)!

No comments:

Post a Comment