Monday, June 13, 2011

For I Know The Plans

One of of my favorite bible verses is Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  I keep learning over and over that His plan for me right now (and has been for the past five years) is for me to not work outside the home so that I can be available. 

In March, I learned about a job opening at a Fortune 500 company near my home.  This part-time contract trainer/facilitator position matched my skill set.  I applied for the job on line and on April 6 had a telephone interview.  On April 25, I had a formal interval with a manager and staffer and conducted a 45 minute training session using my own materials with them, a director, and another staff member.  I was fairly confident that everything went well and was told it would be a couple weeks before I'd hear anything.
 

A couple days after my interview, a family friend was hospitalized with a life-threatening illness. While waiting for the job offer, I spent a great deal of time at the hospital sitting with his wife (see my May 13 blog: http://debsjoyfilledlife.blogspot.com/2011/05/dont-take-today-for-granted.html ).  After three weeks passed, I called my interviewer and left her a voice mail message.  She never returned the call.  A week later, - now four weeks after my interview - I contacted the HR representative who conducted the phone interview and left him a voice mail message.  On June 2 - five weeks after the interview and having concluded that I wouldn't want to work for a company who didn't have the courtesy to call back - I received a rejection notice via e-mail.

During the five week interval, I had plenty of time to reflect on what God was trying to tell me.  I knew if I had been working during the time my friend was ill, I would not have been available to his family at the hospital.  Another friend's sister passed away during this time, and I was able to visit with my friend and attend her sister's funeral.  These were blatant signs that God wanted me to be available.  I can see clearly now that working, even though it would have only been three days a week, did not fit into His plans.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He is telling me to not work outside the home so that when I'm needed, I can immediately respond without having to juggle the demands of a job.  I don't know why I had to have this reaffirmed for me (see my April 7 blog http://debsjoyfilledlife.blogspot.com/2011/04/blessing-of-being-available.html ). 

Father God, I got it!  I won't look at job notices in the newspaper.  It's not my job to look for a job for others - that's the excuse I've used when looking at openings in the paper and on line.  I know that You will let me know when and if You want me to return to a regular job.  I know Your Word says in Phil. 4:19 that You will supply all of my need (food, shelter, clothing) and that as I delight myself in You, You will grant the desires of my heart (Psalm 37:4).  My heart's desire which I believe aligns with Your will is to continue spending quality time with my immediate and extended family (fixing my husband's breakfast before he goes to work each morning, traveling to see my children, keeping my grandchildren, etc.), sending cards to those who are sick, in the military, and incarcerated, attending funerals to provide words of encouragement, give hugs, and serving the family meal, visiting those who are sick in the hospital, nursing home and or in their own homes, whatever service You assign.
  
I am going to be still and trust You to keep me available to do Your will in Your way in Your timing.  Thank You for using me for Your service.  May my light so shine before men that they will see my good works and glorify YOU! (Matt. 5:16).  Like my friend Russ, I want to follow Matt 25: 39-40.  Jesus shared a parable with His disciples.  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment