Monday, June 6, 2011

Sweet Retreat

There weren't many of us who attended my church's annual women's overnight retreat this year, but those of us who came bonded together.  The retreat was held at a serene facility that advertises itelf as a spiritual hideaway.  In this atmosphere it would have been easy for the retreat to be a stuffy affair.  But our retreat coordinator made sure that this would not be the case.

I arrived low in spirit.  Although my roommate from last year had planned to attend the retreat, her husband of 49 years had died.  His funeral was held the day before the retreat.  I was grieving for her and her family.  Knowing why she would not be there, the minute I crossed the retreat threshhold tears gathered in my eyes.  Our church's retreat coordinator met me in the lobby, gave me a hug, and reassured me everything would be all right.  As I walked down the hallway looking for my room, I saw my friend's name on the door of the room reserved for her.  Grief overwhelmed me at that moment.  Fortunately, my new roommate, someone I've known a long time, was already in our room.  She saw that I was having a difficult time.  She had attended the funeral, too and told me it was okay if I needed to cry.  God knew I would need her and pre-ordained that we would room together.  Thank You, Lord for knowing what and who I need in advance.

As we went to dinner I knew I needed something to lift my spirit.  Psalm 86:4 says Bring joy to your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.  As the unofficial comedy team of Bryant and Walker got started, I think the Holy Spirit had interceded on my behalf.  Later in the evening a third person joined their team.  This trio of two ladies in their 70's and one who is 80 years old literally had me in stitches the rest of the evening.  In 1 Thessalonians 5:16, Paul tells us to "Be joyful always."  I remind others often that even in the midst of storms, God sends joy.  And He did just that for me.  While grieving for my friend, God sent joy to all of the retreat attendees.  Thank You, Lord, for Your compassion, comfort, and joy in the midst of our sorrow. 

The retreat provided sweet relief from grief, bonding to one another, and a respite from the sorrows of life.  Thank You, Lord, for Barbara's service to You as our retreat coordinator and for allowing me to have this joyful experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment