Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Genesis - Women of the Word Bible Study

Now that I've launched my blog site, I thought I'd start by sharing my insights from the Women of the Word bible study that I attend.  I encourage everyone to find and attend a solid Bible-based study.  (KJV 2 Timothy 2:15  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.)

My bible study leader is a faithful, Spirit-filled woman of God.  Ann began facilitating this 9-months-long bible study in 2002, starting with the Book of John. In 2004, I joined this group of mixed-race women from our community.  Our topic that year was Prayer.  In 2005, we studied Parables of the Bible  and in 2006 we learned much about Faith.  I was unable to attend the Bible Study in 2007 (Proverbs) and 2008 (Heaven and Hell), but was blessed to return for the study of  The Blood in 2009

Each week in assigned small groups with designated leaders, we discuss our individual responses to a 2-page questionnaire that we received the previous week.  The questionnaires always begin with "What impacted you from last week's lesson or lecture and what application have you made or scripture memorized?"  and end with "What would you consider the key verse of this lesson to be and why?"  Completing all of the questions reinforces our knowledge of the scriptures.  We then form one large group to hear Ann's lecture.  Ann is a master of homiletics (analysis of a passage of scripture with emphasis on both the content and application).  She is truly a modern day Ezra (7:10 For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the LORD, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel.)

We are studying the entire Book of Genesis.  Here are my answers for Lesson 1 Genesis 1 – 2:3 Creation:
Lecture Impact/Application: There are no circumstances in my life that are bigger than God.  “In the beginning, God” is all I need to know.  Just like He hovered over the waters, He hovers over my heart.  Key verse of this lesson and why?  Throughout Genesis Chapter 1, the words  And God saidAnd it was so.”  There is no challenging God; if He said it, it was done.  

In future posts, I'll share with you more of what I'm gaining from this intense study of Genesis.  If you haven't read Genesis, here's a suggestion.  Read Genesis Chapter 1 up to Chapter 2, verse 3 and answer the question "what do you consider the key verse to be and why."  I guarantee you, you'll gain insight into God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment