Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Blessed Assurance - It is well with my soul

"It is in the quiet crucible of your personal private sufferings that your noblest dream are born and God's greatest gifts are given, in compensation for what you've been through."  
~Whitley Phipps

Last week, I attended calling hours for a young man (age 37) and the funeral for a senior citizen who's husband passed away last year. A 47-year old member of my church passed away Friday night.  A close friend's newborn grandbaby passed away on Saturday. My sister's sister in law died in February after a 2-month illness. Deaths are coming fast and furious. I'm just grateful that I know who I am and Who I belong to...it makes all the difference in the world.

I don't understand why God allows earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards BUT GOD is omniscient (knows everything), omnipresent (is everywhere) and omnipotent (has all power).  The storms that come into our lives send us running to the arms of our Savior.  Even in the midst of the storm, He sends joy.  When we focus on the storms, we miss the joy that He continues to send.

Blessed to see God's joy!
WHAT joy you ask?  How about waking up and being able to use your five senses (smell, taste, hear, see, touch), dressing and feeding yourself, shelter, clothing, family, friends, a job (it may not be the one you want, but somebody else would be glad to have it), transportation (might not be the mode you prefer, but you're somehow managing to get to the places you need to be), freedom to worshipHow about seeing the sun shine brightly - doesn't it give you joy to see things in color versus simply black, white or gray!    How about  experiencing the new spring season, being able to read this blog!  Yes, God gives us reason after reason to be joyful.  How about this one, even as we experience death, He gave us the gift of memories - think about it, God didn't have to give us the ability to remember the good times we shared with our loved ones.  And Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to comfort us in all that we go through.

(John 14:26  But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.)  For this we can be joyful. 

Remember, He never stops sending joyPsalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.  

So yes, it is well with my soul and I hope it is well with yours, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFjikyp7mQ&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment