Saturday, August 6, 2011

He Calls Me Friend

I'm reading the book The Girls From Ames, A Story of Women & a Forty-Year Friendship.  This book is about 11 women from Ames, Iowa who have been good friends since childhood for over 40 years even though only one remains in Iowa.  Their bond has continued through high school, college, careers, marriage, motherhood, and deaths.  One of them said "It is my friends from Ames who've exposed me to every facet of womanhood."

I know something about female friendships.  While I don't have 11 friends with whom I've kept an ongoing friendship since childhood, I do have a number of women in my life, some my age and some older, who've bonded with me.  Dianne and I met in junior high (middle school) and became best friends in our senior year of high school.  She's also a good friend of my sister.  My husband tells people that Dianne is my sister's best friend, not mines!  BUT he's wrong!

In 1995, I met Mary, MariePam,  and Toni, at church.  Because she's been married longer than me Mary gives me free marriage counseling!  Marie, who's close to my age, has been married just a couple years less than me.  We're experiencing things together.  I know if I can reach Pam by phone or e-mail, she will pray on the spot; I consider her to be my prayer partner.   Although over the past few years Toni has experienced the deaths of several members of her family, she blows me away with her positive, upbeat spirit.  Through her example, I know beyond a doubt that God sends joy in the midst of our storms.

I met Anita in the 90's when I selected her over three other women to be my administrative assistant.  We  no longer work at the company but have remained friends over the years as our children matured, married and became parents.  Anita and I have been meeting for breakfast once a week with some of our former co-workers. 

Connie and I met in junior high, graduated from high school together, and worked for the same company in the same department.  Thelma graduated from high school with me and ConnieThelma later joined the church I attended before I relocated to another city.  With all these interconnections, I didn't become close to Connie and Thelma until  2007 when Thelma and I began volunteering with a local youth group that Connie had been involved with for years.  Our mutual passion for helping young people bonded us. 

The Lord continues to bring new friends into my life.  A little over 2 years ago when I joined another church, I formed a close friendship with Carolyn.  We had no idea when God connected our hearts that her husband of almost 50 years would pass away this year.  His passing cemented our friendship. 

I'm blessed as well with other important women in my life that includes my mother, mother-in-law, aunt who's like a second mother, sisters, daughter, and daughter-in-law.  I have many other female relatives and friends too numerous to mention who in providing joy have made a difference in my life.  I cherish women who have exposed me to every facet of womanhood.  Yet, as wonderful as it is to have these women in my life, I cherish my Lord and Savior most for HE calls me friend! 

You are my friends if you do what I command.  I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business.  Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.  You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last.  Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my nameJohn 15:14-16

Thank you, Lord for choosing me and calling me friend!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment