Friday, August 19, 2011

Peculiar People

I was sharing with my daughter recently my struggle about whether to see a certain PG-13 movie.  For years now my husband and I have avoided "R" rated movies and have been selective in seeing PG and PG-13 movies.  The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) website states a R-rated motion picture... may include ... hard language, intense or persistent violence, sexually-oriented nudity, drug abuse or other elements.   In PG movies "there may be some profanity and some depictions of violence or brief nudity.A PG-13 motion picture may go beyond the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, adult activities or other elements, but does not reach the restricted R category. 

It's not that I don't want to see the latest movies.  I'm offended by cursing and using the Lord's name in vain which doesn't add anything to a story, sexual innuendos that lace even kid-friendly movies , and the violence that is mimicked in our communities.  I grew up in an era where on TV married couples slept in twin beds.  Now, it's almost impossible to find a TV program without everyone locking lips, passing saliva, and falling into bed (with no mention of protection, although abstinence is the only 100% full proof method).  Am I the only one who wonders why a fairly new commercial about floor dusters has sexual overtones?  And don't get me started on the language on TV - words that my generation grew up knowing we'd get our mouths washed out with soap if we dared utter them.  I've stopped watching several shows that were my favorites due to the flagrant cursing and one-night stands.   I think TV is following the lead of motion pictures.  

We made an exception for the R-rated "The Passion of the Christ" because of the topic.  While the "R" rating was for violent scenes, there is no accurate way to portray His story without including the acts of cruelty (spit on, beaten, and crucified) perpetrated against Him  for you and for me.  

Do I come across like a prude, perhaps holier-than-thou?  I hope not.  Am I peculiar for my beliefs?  I hope so, for the Word says:

For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth. (Deut. 14:2)

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.  Titus 2:11-14 (underscore mine)

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light. 1 Peter 2:9-10

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) website says a "G-rated motion picture contains nothing in theme, language, nudity, sex, violence or other matters that, in the view of the Rating Board, would offend parents whose younger children view the motion picture."  

brotherhoods,concepts,cutouts,dare to be different,diversity,gestures,hearts,holding hands,iStockphoto,males,paper dolls,reflections,shadows,symbols,text,together,unity,teamworkIt seems to me "G" rated movies align more with 'peculiar people' and Phil. 4:8.  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I'm not judging others for what they see at the movies or watch on TV.  I'm simply concerned about my walk and causing anyone to stumble.  I've seen the following statement in e-mails recently: "Don't ask the Lord to order your steps, if you're not willing to move your feet."  I'm willing to move my feet... in a peculiar direction by trying to stay true to His Word while pressing toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Phil 3:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment