Thursday, October 27, 2011

Is God Laughing?

This morning I arose around 6:20 am, made breakfast for the hubby, read the paper, showered, and got dressed to meet someone at 8:15.  She and I were going to ride together to a corporation to meet with their HR staff in preparation for training I’m providing in January.  After sitting in the parking lot for aboutText messaging on a blackberry 15 minutes, I began wondering if I had the time right.  Was I supposed to meet her at 9:15?  I called her, got voice mail and left a message.  I waited another 10 minutes or so.  Hmmm, perhaps I forwarded her e-mail about the meeting to my husband…if so, maybe he kept it.  I called him and got his voice mail.  Now what…if I returned home, I would miss her.  (Note to self: Having a blackberry, Iphone or Ipad might have come in handy to check my e-mail and confirm the time.) 

A few minutes later my contact called.  Not only did I have the time wrong, but I also had the WRONG date!  Sheesh, my day was not getting off to a good start as after the meeting I planned to stop by a department store to pick up a sale item.  It was too early for the store to be open, so I headed back home.

Around 1:00, I went to the department store and found the sale item, although there was no sale tags.  I grabbed the item and wondered around the store to see if I wanted anything else.  Then I noticed that the sale notices were covered indicating that the sale hadn’t begun yet.  I looked at the flyer I had with me.  The sale wasn’t scheduled to begin until 3:00 p.m.  Just great!  I got the time WRONG… again!   As I headed home back home, I was kicking myself (mentally of course, because after all, I was driving!).  Then it occurred to me to check the flyer once more.  Not only did I have the time wrong, I also had the WRONG date!  The sale is tomorrow at 3:00.  Well, the good thing was I didn’t end up back at the store to find this out.  I thanked God for that and the thought occurred to me.  Is God laughing at me? 

I thought why shouldn’t He laugh?  He probably began laughing when I got dressed because  in His omniscience He knew the meeting wasn’t today.  He saw me leaving my home to go to the store.  He knew the sale wasn’t today and that I had the date and time WRONG!  The thought of God laughing made me laugh.  I could/should have checked my e-mail yesterday to confirm the time of the meeting, which would have helped me realize I had the date WRONG.  I could/should have confirmed the sale date from the flyer.  The only person I could be upset with is myself.  Thinking of  God laughing helped me put the situation into the right perspective; laughter was a better emotion than getting bent out of shape because of my own failings.   

view detailsYes, I think God was laughing, not at me, but with me!  I believe He has a sense of humor because He gave us a sense of humor.  And you know what?  I get joy from laughing with God.   I’ll go to the sale tomorrow, but I’m glad I got a chance to laugh with God today.  When was the last time you laughed with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment