Friday, March 8, 2013

Why Am I Here?

Years ago I read Rick Warren’s book “Purpose Driven Life”, subtitled “What On Earth Am I Here For?” My pastor is conducting a bible study using this book, so I am re-reading it. In Chapter 3, Pastor Warren says “Living to create an earthly legacy is a short-sighted goal. A wiser use of time is to build an eternal legacy.” He reminds us that we “weren’t put on earth to be remembered.” We “were put on earth to prepare for eternity.” When I question why am I here, I have to acknowledge as Pastor Warren says, that one day I “will stand before God, and He will do an audit” of my life before I enter eternity. He says “God will ask two crucial questions: First, “What did you do with my Son, Jesus Christ?” and “Second, What did you do with what I gave you…all the gifts, talents, opportunities, energy, relationships, and resources?”

Yesterday, while reading my bible, I turned to 2 Corinthians 11:23-28 and read how Paul could answer these two questions. Paul said:

I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one.  Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.  Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. (NIV)

In contrast, I have never been in prison, flogged, beaten, pelted with stones, nor shipwrecked. I haven’t been “constantly on the move,” in danger from rivers, bandits, Jews and Gentiles in the city, country, and sea, gone without sleep and food on my Christian journey. No, this won’t be my testimony when I stand before the Lord.

My testimony is that through my relationships as a wife, daughter, mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, niece, cousin, friend, neighbor, church and community volunteer I use every opportunity through His gift of teaching (Romans 12:7, Ephs. 4:11) to witness about Jesus Christ to everyone I encounter -- whether in person, over the phone, through written communication (cards, e-mail, blogging, Facebook), when driving my car, in the grocery checkout line, etc.  With His gift of helps (I Cor. 12:28), my husband and I use our financial resources to assist those in need and support His ministry.  With the energy He’s given me, I visit those in hospitals and convalescent homes and attend funerals to provide comfort. My life has not been and is not perfect.  Through my challenging tests, though different from Paul’s, I have learned beyond a shadow of a doubt who I am – a child of the Most High God; to whom I belong – to the Almighty God of the universe; and most importantly, why I am here – to fulfill my eternal legacy of serving Him until the day He calls me home.
Do you know why are you here? If your answer is yes, what are you doing with Jesus Christ? Are you using what God has given you for the purposes for which God made you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment